AAPC offers 1.0 CEU for completing the test in each Healthcare Business Monthly for a total of 12 CEUs per year.
Please note: CEUs earned from the Healthcare Business Monthly publications are counted based on the issue date, not date of completion (be sure to only use issues from your specific timeframe).
- CEUs are offered to people who are not employed/contracted with the publication (Healthcare Business Monthly) and who are not being paid for the work performed
- CEUs are awarded to authors of articles published in the Healthcare Business Monthly, regardless of general/specialty orientation
Our membership relies on authors of the Healthcare Business Monthly to be the most knowledgeable coders in their profession.
- To be considered as an author for Healthcare Business Monthly, submit the entire article, proofed and ready for publication, to AAPC
- Authors will be notified via email whether or not their articles are selected for publication
- Authors will be notified in which Healthcare Business Monthly issues their articles will be published
- Authors will receive a CEU certificate after the article is published
CEUs will be awarded according to a word count of the final polished article. Word count increments are as follows:
- 500 - 999 words = 0.5 CEU
- 1000 - 1999 words = 1 CEU
- 2000 words plus = 1.5 CEUs
No more than 1.5 CEUs can be awarded for a single article. Word count considers only your own curriculum, not links to source documents that can be accessed from the article.
- CEUs are awarded in 0.5 increments
- An article awarded 1.5 CEUs can be split equally between 3 authors
- An article earning 1 CEU can be split equally between 2 authors
NOTE: What will make your article stand out from the rest?
- Pick a topic in which you have expertise, appropriate specialties will be assigned to the education
- Narrow the topic so that you can cover it well in the space allowed. For example, instead of writing about "Coding Obstetrics" consider narrowing down the topic to "Ultrasound and Medical Necessity in Pregnancy." That way, you can cover it thoroughly
- Remember our readers live across the country. Refrain from focusing on local coverage issues or concerns
- Read your Healthcare Business Monthly regularly so you know what’s already been covered and can get a feel for what sort of topics are selected.
- Keep your sentences short and use your spellcheck. Have a coworker review your work for clinical accuracy
- Cite your sources and quote experts in the field in your article to give it a professional edge