• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Swelling of limb vs edema of leg

tag60

Guest
Messages
150
Location
Santee, CA
Pt presents to outpatient clinic with symptoms concerning for DVT, including leg swelling, pain, and warmth and is told to go to ER to rule out DVT. What is the better/correct code for the symptom of leg swelling? I'm unsure whether to look up "edema" or "swelling" when both words appear in the report.

Per ICD-9 index:

Edema, legs = 782.3 (in symptoms section)
Swelling, leg =729.81 (in musculoskeletal/connective tissue section)

Perhaps because this is a symptom, I use 782.3...? Would I still use that even if provider states only "swelling" in leg?

Thanks in advance!
 
I agree I would use 729.81 for swelling of the limb, you can't assume anything, although i really dont understand the difference between swelling and edema :confused:
 
Top