Wiki Dog ear excision

D.R.

Networker
Best answers
I am seeing many different answers regarding excision of dog ear. KZA states if 2nd stage breast reconstruction, dog ear excision included. Okthat makes sense but what if it is not 2nd stage breast recon. I am finding many different opinions. I have seen use 1140x codes w/ intermediate repair 1203x. Also, use complex closure code 131xx for scar excision. ???????

Surgery: Integumentary System, Excision Abdominal Dog Ears Following Breast Reconstruction​

CPT Assistant, April 2014, Volume 24, Issue 4, page 10

Question:​

When abdominal "dog ears" are excised after breast reconstruction surgery, is it appropriate to report the procedure with tissue rearrangement codes 14000 and 14001 when the "dog ears" have been excised and flaps were developed and rotated to close the wound? Or, is it more appropriate to use the excision of benign lesions codes from the 11400-11406 code series and the appropriate repair codes?

Answer:​

The excision code and the intermediate repair code would be reported. These are not adjacent tissue transfers; there is an excess of tissue (dog ear). Therefore, no tissue transfer is necessary to reconstruct the area. If tissues are extensively undermined to effect closure, then a complex repair code would be appropriate.