Wiki Consult & Critical Care

Your question raises a couple of things that lead me to "PROBABLY no".
1) 99245 is an outpatient consult. A consult (in coding definitions) is when a patient has been formally requested to see you by another clinician, you render an opinion, and report that back to the requesting clinician. - called the 3 R's. It is not for when you are assuming care of the patient. Most insurances no longer recognize consult codes as they have been overused/misunderstood/abused for years.
2) 99291 is critical care. Patients are typically in an ICU, CCU or other critical care area of a hospital. Not outpatient.
I cannot think of a scenario where billing these 2 codes together would be appropriate. Some carriers may have a policy to bundle as well. They don't hit NCCI edits as consults are not payable by Medicare who develops the NCCI edits.
If this magical scenario exists, AND the carrier accepts consult codes, AND the carrier does not bundle them, then I would think they can be billed together as long as you are not double counting the time spent. Any time spent on 99245 cannot also be counted toward 99291.

Last edited: