Wiki CODE Z13.0

Best answers
Good morning,

My question has to do with th use of code Z13.0 as a first listed code, in inpatient facilities. In more detailed i have a patient with the following data :
A known patient with anaemia and low blood platelets, was admtted for further investigation and bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.Results indicated no other pathology connected with anemia or platelets.
The Doctor wrote as a Primary diagnosis the code Z13.0.
I disagreed and allocated the anaemia code ( D64.9) , as a firts listed code, once this is the diagnosis the patient admitted and investigated for.

Am i correct or should i code in a different way this scenario ?

Thank you!

Good morning,

My question has to do with th use of code Z13.0 as a first listed code, in inpatient facilities. In more detailed i have a patient with the following data :
A known patient with anaemia and low blood platelets, was admtted for further investigation and bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.Results indicated no other pathology connected with anemia or platelets.
The Doctor wrote as a Primary diagnosis the code Z13.0.
I disagreed and allocated the anaemia code ( D64.9) , as a firts listed code, once this is the diagnosis the patient admitted and investigated for.

Am i correct or should i code in a different way this scenario ?

Thank you!
D64.9 and D69.6; I would think both should be coded, not necessarily in that order, as they are both mentioned by the physician.
D64.9 applies to the anemia.
D69.6 applies to the low platelet count (thrombocytopenia).

But, you are correct, Z13.0 should not be used as the diagnosis.