Wiki childhood obesity

Visit was for Pediatric weight management, provider( Nutritionist) put the Z68.54 as Dx and it is denied so I am trying to figure out what will be the primary diagnosis. Thank you for responding.

Visit was for Pediatric weight management, provider( Nutritionist) put the Z68.54 as Dx and it is denied so I am trying to figure out what will be the primary diagnosis. Thank you for responding.

I'd use one of the appropriate Encounter codes.

Since this is a nutritionist visit, the encounter code for Dietary Counseling is probably what I'd consider. There may be other ones that would fit too.

1726603689188.png

If you have direct communication with the nutritionist (or their department), it would be good to review the diagnosis coding guidelines with them. Specifically, BMI codes should only be assigned when there is an associated, reportable diagnosis (such as obesity) and the BMI should only be reported as secondary diagnosis. With the upcoming updates to ICD-10-CM, it might also be a good time to review the new codes for obesity classes and pediatric BMI. As suggested by Susan, without documentation of overweight or obesity, code Z71.3 may be the appropriate diagnosis for the visit. Cindy

If you have direct communication with the nutritionist (or their department), it would be good to review the diagnosis coding guidelines with them. Specifically, BMI codes should only be assigned when there is an associated, reportable diagnosis (such as obesity) and the BMI should only be reported as secondary diagnosis. With the upcoming updates to ICD-10-CM, it might also be a good time to review the new codes for obesity classes and pediatric BMI. As suggested by Susan, without documentation of overweight or obesity, code Z71.3 may be the appropriate diagnosis for the visit. Cindy
Thank you for responding :)