Wiki 59136 - Ectopic pregnancy uterine cornua

Best answers
Hello,
I'm in need of some codig advice for a new provider joining our group. The provider has coded 59136 - Robotic resection of right uterine cornua and ectopic pregnancy with reconstruction of uterus.
Description of 59136 is an open procedure. Can anyone give me advice about utilizing this code. I believe i should be using an unlisted Laparoscopic code. Operative report states Trocars in place all throught out procedure.
The provider is instant 59136 is incorrect.
Please advise.
Thank you!
Melissa

Hello,
I'm in need of some codig advice for a new provider joining our group. The provider has coded 59136 - Robotic resection of right uterine cornua and ectopic pregnancy with reconstruction of uterus.
Description of 59136 is an open procedure. Can anyone give me advice about utilizing this code. I believe i should be using an unlisted Laparoscopic code. Operative report states Trocars in place all throught out procedure.
The provider is instant 59136 is incorrect.
Please advise.
Thank you!
Melissa
You are 100% correct. If the procedure is done laparoscopically and there is no code that describes the procedure using this method, you report the an unlisted laparoscopic code. Since this was done for an ectopic pregnancy, you will report 59898 compare the work to 59136.

In March 1997 the CPT Assistant published by the AMA states the following: Coding Consultation Laparoscopy Q&A

Question If a procedure is performed laparoscopically, but there is no code in the Laparoscopic section of CPT ( for instance codes 56300-56399) specific to this procedure, can I use the "open" procedure code or do I need to report a code that specifically states "Laparoscopic"?

AMA Comment If a procedure is performed laparoscopically and there is no specific code for this procedure in the Laparoscopic codes, then the unlisted code laparoscopic code in the applicable CPT section should be reported for this procedure. It is not appropriate to report an "open" code for a laparoscopic procedure...