Wiki Z23 ?

ssharp

Networker
Best answers
How do you appropriately use the code. I am looking at the book at it says you use it for inoculations and vaccinations. It also says Z23 may be used as a secondary code if the inoculation is given as a routine part of the preventative healthcare such as well baby visit, CODE first routine childhood exam

1. if the patient is only seeing a nurse for a shot then the only codes would be Z23 for both the immunization and the administration

2 if the patient is being seen for a well check then am I understanding it as the immunization and the administration would have the well check code and secondary the Z23.

Yes to both. Thank you for checking your book.....that's where you get the official coding rules!

Thank you. I just spoke with someone else and they are referring to encoder pro and stated that you would post the well code icd-10 with the z23 on the well visit and the z23 on the shots and injections?

U would use Z23 only once as your diagnosis (ex. the only diagnosis if pt comes for immunization only and given by nurse and as secondary if pt receives immnization during a well visit). Each immunization and administration CPT cods is linked to Z23. The cpts are staying the same.
Hope this helps!