Wiki z02

Harmonyunited

Contributor
Best answers
Could someone kindly advise us on which Principle dx to apply in the event that a patient arrived for a "fitness evaluation to join in military"? Z02.3 is assigned, however it is rejected since behavioral health only accepts the F series as Primary Dx.Florida-based BCBS as the payor.

Could someone kindly advise us on which Principle dx to apply in the event that a patient arrived for a "fitness evaluation to join in military"? Z02.3 is assigned, however it is rejected since behavioral health only accepts the F series as Primary Dx.Florida-based BCBS as the payor.
The military does not routinely require potential recruits to have psychiatric evaluations. There is something the individual acknowledged on his intake forms (below) at MEPS for which, in turn, MEPS instructed him to have a psychiatric evaluation before MEPS would allow him to continue processing.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/forms/dd/dd2807-1.pdf

1719958297089.png

https://www.esd.whs.mil/portals/54/documents/dd/forms/dd/dd2807-2.pdf

1719958131597.png

DOD Instruction 6130.03, Volume 1, “Medical Standards for Military Service: Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction,” § 6.28 (pp. 50–52), lists the psychiatric conditions that do not meet the standard for appointment, enlistment, or induction into the military, either because the individual has a current diagnosis or past medical history.

I would dig deeper (i.e., perhaps review the History portion of the provider’s visit note) and find out what the individual acknowledged (i.e., why MEPS instructed him to have a psychiatric evaluation). Use that reason as the principal diagnosis and Z02.3 as the secondary diagnosis. Otherwise, he may have to foot the bill (which is often the case in these situations, as a Google search demonstrates). However, maybe your office can use Z86.59 if the provider determines that the patient no longer has any active psychiatric problems/diagnoses (that would warrant an F code).

Last edited: