Wiki Your advice is appreciated

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello, I have recently recieved my CPC and will soon be sitting fot thr CPC-H. I work for a specialty office. I only see/code things from one section of CPT. We dabble in some others but not much. I see/code some consultations. But thats about it. I am young and feel like I am just starting my career in the coding field. I will stop babbling now.....my question is, What can i do to keep myself relavant i the field? In all areas of CPT. I like my job but feel like i will always be "JUST" a coder here. So until i get my CPC-H and who knows what cert will be next (move to a bigger company e.g hospital). I dont want to lose what i've learned so far. Are there any sites where you can code fake reports or quizzes?? They say you lose what you dont use and i am trying not to let tht happen!

Thanks for any tips, sites and advice you care to share with me! ;)

Congratulations on passing your CPC! You're right, most coders 'specialize' in one particular area, and without exposure to other specialties, will unlearn all that they gained while studying for the exam. Here are some thoughts in regards to keeping fresh in all areas.

Attend your local AAPC chapter meetings, where you will gain exposure to speakers from all areas of medicine and be able to network and chat with coders from all specialties.

Sign up for the AAPC webinars, or attend a national or regional conference. Both are opportunities to continue to learn about a variety of specialty coding scenarios.

Visit the professional medical associations such as ACOG, AAFP, etc., and look at the practice management sections, where there is often a coding section that addresses common coding issues for that specialty.

Search the internet for transcription sites....they often have sample operative notes you can print and code. (no answers.....but it's good practice)

Read this discussion board. Lots of good information and advice, but make sure that the advice-givers can reference regularory guidance, and aren't just giving an opinion.

Every year, purchase the CPC practice exams, and take them as a refresher.

Read your CPT book from cover to cover....every year. :)

This should keep you busy. You have the right idea.....keep current, because nobody needs a stale coder! Good luck!

@ Pam, Thank you so much that is all wonderful advice. I have been going to my local chapter meetings and will continue to go. I am going to look into the other outlets you talked about. I appreciate the advice and tips!

I will also bookmark those sites listed as well.....
Thanks guys!