Wiki Xray order requirements

lclayton

New
Best answers
When the provider orders an xray in the EMR is it required to have the number of views? or can the radiology interp report showing the number of views done be sufficient enough? If it is required where can I find this guideline to show my provider so they will start doing this?

I had the same issue with my providers. If you look in the CPT manual in Radiology guidelines at the beginning of the chapter, under "Written Reports" it talks about the order must be signed by the interpreting individual and that it should be considered an integral part of a radiologic procedure or interpretation.

I literally took my CPT book to my providers and told them that even their order for the xray is considered part of the patients medical record and if ever audited the actual order will be used as part of the proof for how many x-ray views were taken and there for the order has to show the views inorder to code. I then took them to their most requested xray codes and showed them how I cannot select the code without having the order and documentation match how many views the xray was, and for me that did the trick! Hope this helped!:)