Wiki Xray before and after splinting - Charge?

fish4codes

Networker
Best answers
We are an ortho office owning our own equipment, etc. (global/no TC or -26) - I'm helping with office coding - and ran into a situation I wasn't sure about - doctor xrayed before and after splinting - when it came through charge review it wouldn't allow and, unfortunately, I did not read note thoroughly enough to see this is what he did, it looked like a duplicate (oops!) and I deleted one charge- my question, can one bill for both before and after xrays, same day, same xray, etc..?? I appreciate any guidance! Thanks...

There is a lot of missing information here, but if the documentation is good/complete, and certain conditions are met, then you should be able to charge for both sets of X-rays. The patient should have been a "new" patient/problem with a recent injury that could have caused a fracture, and the clinical/physical findings support this possibility, then a set of "Diagnostic" X-rays would be warranted (Set # 1). If these X-rays did reveal a fracture of sufficient severity (i.e. deformity, angulation, etc.) as to warrant "Active Treatment" in the form of a closed manipulative reduction (even under local anesthesia in the office), following which external splints were applied to maintain the reduction, then a second set of "Post-Reduction" X-rays would be proper to check the post-reduction fracture alignment, and should be chargeable as well. If the fracture alignment based on the Diagnostic X-rays was felt to be acceptable, and no manipulation or reduction was done, and the fracture splinted "as is," then the second set of X-rays were not really warranted as they wouldn't have told the surgeon anything he didn't already know. You would have review the documentation carefully to be certain it can justify the need for both sets of X-rays.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com

According to the 2017 NCCI Policy Manual, Chapter IX.C.3. states: "When a comparative imaging study is performed to assess potential complications or completeness of a procedure(e.g., post-reduction, post-intubation, post-catheter placement, etc.), the professional component of the CPT code for the post-procedure imaging study is not separately payable and should not be reported. The technical component of the CPT code for the post-procedure imaging study may be reported."

Therefore, if the particular payor is following the NCCI guidelines, the you would bill one global x-ray procedure and then you would code the post-reduction procedure with the TC modifier for the technical component only. If it is the same CPT code (same number of views), then some payors may require appending the 76 modifier as well to the second procedure.