Wiki Wound Vac HELP

Best answers
I need help!! I code for several different specialties and many of them use a wound vac 97605 & 97606-Negative pressure wound therapy (eg, vacuum assisted drainage collection), utilizing durable medical equipment (DME), including topical application(s), wound assessment, and instruction(s) for ongoing care, per session; total wound(s) surface area less than or equal to 50 square centimeters
My question is after the doctor puts it on at the initial time, and every twos days the patient is going back into the OR, do you charge for the putting back on the wound vac each time? I was told that no you could only bill for the initial time, and I am not finding anything on it that says one way or another. Any Help I could get would be great!!
Thanks,
Sherry

Ok to bill each time

Sherry,
I have billed wound vacs for years, and I have always billed separately for each time the physician applies the wound vac. Because the global surgical concept does not apply to these codes, there is no issue with that. Also, in the description of the code, it does state "per session." This would indicate to me that each time the patient is brought back in, the appliance is removed, the wound is reevaluated, a new sponge placed, etc., that this would constitute a new session. I have not had issues with these claims being denied for frequency either.
I hope that helps!

Melanie Edwards, CPC, CPCO, CPMA