Wiki Wound care surgical healing wound

Best answers
How would you code a surgical wound that is healing? I'm being told to use the non healing surgical wound code but I don't agree with this. Does anyone have any info on this to clarify this.

Postoperative wound on the left buttock, currently treated with gentamicin ointments.

Current Measurement Date - Length: 1/18/2021 # 3 Mid; Proximal Back Surgical 01/13/20-Wound Length - cm: 5 cm

I agree with you about not using the non-healing code. Why does it need coding at all? Is this for a post-op visit? It might be included in the surgical global period if your physician was the original surgeon.

These are for the facility side. We see a lot of skin grafts, amputations but also surgical site wound. We see these as referrals and as follow up of their own surgery. They are still receiving active wound care treatment. I am not in billing so the global period would be handled on that side.

I agree, I would code this as aftercare - if it is not a traumatic wound, and unless there is documentation that it is infected, dehisced, chronic/non-healing or otherwise complicated, there wouldn't be reason to code it as anything but routine surgical aftercare.