Wiki would you code "longstanding smoking history" as past or current smoking?

Best answers
It could mean the pt currently smokes or that he quit in the past. Doesn't say any more about the smoking. So I can't tell whether to code z87.891 or z72.0. Is there a default? I suspect I should code z72.0.

If this weren't practicode, I would want to query the provider.

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but you are correct. I'd query the provider. I have seen Longstanding history to mean current (and for a long time before now, obviously). Usually when I see a PMH with smoking cessation, it indicated how long they smoked, and when they quit. I know that's not particularly helpful... Just giving you another clinician's perspective. I'm sorry. Please let us know what you come up with .

In that context, from my experience, most clinicians would use this to mean - the patient has been (and is still currently) smoking. It is a situation where "history" could mean multiple things out of context. In the real world, if the context is not there I would query my clinician.
I have recently started working with a new physician who uses "history" all the time to mean - the patient has an existing known current problem. Like "history of fibroids" means - the patient had fibroids in the past and still has them.

In that context, from my experience, most clinicians would use this to mean - the patient has been (and is still currently) smoking. It is a situation where "history" could mean multiple things out of context. In the real world, if the context is not there I would query my clinician.
I have recently started working with a new physician who uses "history" all the time to mean - the patient has an existing known current problem. Like "history of fibroids" means - the patient had fibroids in the past and still has them.
I hope you can convince him/her to change his/her habit.