Wiki Working from home?

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Is it possible to make a real living working contract jobs from home? Or does anyone feel the risk of being un-employed s too high?

working from home

You can make a good living working at home; but its not for everyone. You have to be able to manage your time extremely well and avoid intrusions while working. I have been doing it for 6 years and love it.

You can make a good living working at home; but its not for everyone. You have to be able to manage your time extremely well and avoid intrusions while working. I have been doing it for 6 years and love it.

What do you do for health insurance if you dont mind me asking. Is it through an employer (a work form home based) , or spouse? That is a huge reservation for me. I carry the benfits for the family.

I've worked from home for about 3 1/2 years now. I don't work as a contractor, I have an employer. It took a little time to get used to being focused all the time, but I really enjoy it. The one thing I miss is talking to other people in an office.

It takes awhile to find the right position. When I first started out, I only worked at home on the evenings and weekends, kept my FT day job. It took awhile to find a company that was a good fit and that had long term work. I left my day job in Feb of this year and it has been great. But I have been with my current employer for 2 years and I haven't had down time.

I currently have insurance through my partner, but my employer does offer it as well.

Cordelia, CCS, CPC

I am also looking for coding work that can be done from home, due to family considerations. I have been unemployed for over 2 years. I completed the course back in 2012, then started looking for a job. The problem I have is like others, they want a college degree and/or 2-4 years coding experience. I have 16 years billing and analysis experience. I am wondering the same question about the availability of jobs. I am looking on the AAPC site as well as just about any other site on the web. Just not having any luck. Since I am single, I am also concerned regarding the insurance issue.

Re:Working from home

I agree with all the other post especially in regards to remote coding is not for everyone. The problem with most remote jobs is that quite a few are contract positions, the benefits are very limited and you must have the experience (remote employers usually don't have time to fully train). I am working my second remote job and it is tedious. The benefits on this employer is much better than the first job I had and I made sure this time that I am not on a contract. I am a single parent so I completely understand taking the risk with these jobs (I was laid off April 2013 from my first remote job, it was contract work). For me it was a risk I was willing to take since one of my sons requires constant medical care. Bottom line it is possible but if you are the prime holder that your family survives on please just weigh out your options carefully and do what is best for your situation.:)