Wiki Worker's Comp PT 5 years later

Blackhorse

Guru
Best answers
One patient called me and told me that she should not pay $60 from 2016 because those claims should be covered under WC not Blue Cross. I called the adjuster and was told her WC case was settled in 2019 and it's too late to reprocess those claims. PT insists not paying $60 bill. I don't know why the claims were not sent to Worker's Comp 5 years ago as I was not with this company. Any solutions?

I would write it off.

It's $60 and the account is from 5 years ago.

Unless I had rock solid proof that the patient never told us it was a WC claim and/or that it was excluded from the WC claim I'd be writing it off.

Not worth staff's time and energy to pursue the patient for payment, especially if the patient is going to refuse to pay anyhow.

Use that staff time to pursue balances that actually have a chance of payment. That $60 AR balance has been sitting out there aging for 5 years now as it is.

I would write it off.

It's $60 and the account is from 5 years ago.

Unless I had rock solid proof that the patient never told us it was a WC claim and/or that it was excluded from the WC claim I'd be writing it off.

Not worth staff's time and energy to pursue the patient for payment, especially if the patient is going to refuse to pay anyhow.

Use that staff time to pursue balances that actually have a chance of payment. That $60 AR balance has been sitting out there aging for 5 years now as it is.
Thank you and I agree with you(y)

Our collection agency can collect any balance within 7 years. Our manager wants to send her to collection.

IMO, your manager has to look at this realistically.

The collection agency might try to get money from the patient, but it doesn't mean that they will succeed. IF the agency manages to get a patient payment, the provider will only see a fraction of that $60 once the agency takes their fees.

The patient could also make a dispute to the charge with the agency, and say that it is the provider's fault for not billing Workers Compensation timely.

I can't imagine the slim possibility of collecting a fraction of $60 would be worth any bad word of mouth from the patient. Yes, I know we generally shouldn't avoid sending patients to collections out of fear of bad publicity.

However in this case, where Workers Compensation didn't get billed and the patient gets sent to collections over $60 from 5 years ago? That's a situation where I absolutely think your office could come off looking like the bad guys, and where the potential for payoff just isn't worth the hassle and any negative publicity.

IMO, your manager has to look at this realistically.

The collection agency might try to get money from the patient, but it doesn't mean that they will succeed. IF the agency manages to get a patient payment, the provider will only see a fraction of that $60 once the agency takes their fees.

The patient could also make a dispute to the charge with the agency, and say that it is the provider's fault for not billing Workers Compensation timely.

I can't imagine the slim possibility of collecting a fraction of $60 would be worth any bad word of mouth from the patient. Yes, I know we generally shouldn't avoid sending patients to collections out of fear of bad publicity.

However in this case, where Workers Compensation didn't get billed and the patient gets sent to collections over $60 from 5 years ago? That's a situation where I absolutely think your office could come off looking like the bad guys, and where the potential for payoff just isn't worth the hassle and any negative publicity.
Thank you very much for your input, I totally agree with your point🌈