Wiki Why are there so many questions left unanswered?!

BwitchyCoder

Best answers
I don't need an answer to this specific question, but there is a question of mine, and some from others in other forums (especially ones asking for ICD-9 or CPT-4 help) that are left unanswered.
We post the questions because we're looking for some guidance from other coders. Somebody "out there" has got to know the answers to these questions. I see alot of members with alot of credential after their names.:confused:

I pay for my AAPC membership myself... and what do I get for it?

I understand your frustration. One of my specialties has a smaller network of coders and it's very hard, at times, to find solid answers. I think some coders are apprehensive to answer questions for fear of being incorrect. If my advise is not on target, I use that opportunity to listen to others with more experience on that topic. I was looking through earlier at some of the questions and I honestly don't know the answers..i.e. Gastro, Cardio...

There are days that I don't get a chance to look at the forum and might have missed a question that I could have answered. So...with that being said...send your question out as a second request. I'm on other forums and this is how some of the other coders handle their questions. I always take a "double look" at these to make sure I didn't miss it the first time. Don't get discouraged...we are here to help! ;)

Southshore,

I share your frustration at bit, but only cause I had a need for information "now" and couldn't fine an answer. I posted yesterday about something I needed help with, and did not get an answer. I just figured those that were on yesterday didn't know the answer, which is fine, I also tried other resources.

I will tell you, I have multiple credentials but I certainly don't know "it all" by any means, and I doubt that most of the others on here do either. I will never answer a question if I am not able to give you the reference point and/or resource. I will give advice or encouragement anytime, but for coding guidance, I want to know that when I give advice it is accurate, and when I receive advice that it is accurate as well. I also always validate with other sources as well if the person answering hasn't given a reference point.

This forum is a great resource, with its members voluntarily sharing information. It is not a manned called center where people are paid to assist you. The forums are one instance of networking at its best. Hope you find what you are looking for, I still haven't, but will keep looking.

How you phrase your question

Southshore,
I know what you mean. I posted a query a while back that has never been replied to.

I don't know if any of the following apply to your posts, but they're my observations about the forums in general:

Lots of time the question is not in my area of expertise and I don't have time to do any research. (When I DO have time to check out a question, I might ask additional follow-up that may or may not point someone in the right direction.)

Sometimes I hesitate to answer a query when it is phrased in such a way that I wonder if the poster is a student looking for me to do his/her homework.

Sometimes, the question is so brief that I'm not sure what the poster is asking. e.g. there's a title such as "ischemic attack" but no other info

Sometimes, the question can't be answered without more information. e.g. "How do I code spinal fusion?"

In general, try to give your post a title that is descriptive of the problem. Give enough details of the scenario (ideally a scrubbed op note), and clearly state your question. Also be sure that you've posted your question in the forum that is most likely to have the experts who can help you.

If you've identified one or two "experts" who frequently respond in your area of concern, you might try to PM them directly with your question.

And, yes, do repost if you don't get a response in a couple of days.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Well put FTessa. While coding is black and white, incomplete information can send us to a very gray area and hence increase the amount of research needed for response. While the forums are divided by specialties many are visited and responded to by coders from all speciaties. It's this diaglogue that gives us all a well rounded view and can make us say .. I hadn't thought of it like that. We all need to remember that this site is not just a site to post questions (threads) but also to share our experience/expertise with fellow coders.

Julie, CPC