Wiki Who orders PAT?

JDACPC

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Referring doctor sends patient to see the IR doc (consult) for possible procedure. If a procedure will follow, who orders the pre-procedure testing? There are delays in scheduling because of resistance from the ordering doctor as well as confusion on the admitting side as to who the actual ordering/admitting/attending is. The IR docs can't agree, it seems some do not want to be bothered with ordering PAT.

I'm not sure that there are rules as to who MUST order the PAT but I think it comes down to customer service. If the IR doc wants those referrals to continue, he should acquiesce and order the testing.

OR does this fall under transfer of care vs consult?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you!

Referring doctor sends patient to see the IR doc (consult) for possible procedure. If a procedure will follow, who orders the pre-procedure testing? There are delays in scheduling because of resistance from the ordering doctor as well as confusion on the admitting side as to who the actual ordering/admitting/attending is. The IR docs can't agree, it seems some do not want to be bothered with ordering PAT.

I'm not sure that there are rules as to who MUST order the PAT but I think it comes down to customer service. If the IR doc wants those referrals to continue, he should acquiesce and order the testing.

OR does this fall under transfer of care vs consult?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you!

I talked to one of my radiologist and he said that he will order the labs that he wants ordered that are appropriate for the procedure. Example would be for an arteriogram would be BUN, creatinine, CBC, PT, PTT.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC