Wiki Where would I find the rules for listing procedures based on wRVU values?

jojokat

Networker
Best answers
Isn't there a guideline or rule that states to list procedures based on the wRVU value? I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is the way it is done, but I'm having trouble locating this information now and could really use some extra help and guidance. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :)

Sequencing codes by RVU value is something that used to be taught in coding (and maybe still is in some programs), but there is no requirement that it be done this way and in 20 years of coding and billing I have never done this and have never worked with anyone who did. To be honest, I think it would be a complete waste of time. Payer claims systems are very capable of calculating RVUs on the claims they receive, and they don't have any need for providers to sequence codes for them in order to make correct payment.

Hi there, I'd just add that I've known coding/practice management consultants who say it should be done that way but I can't recall seeing a citation to a rule. (Also, these were people who started working in the field before computers were in common use.) But if RVU sequencing happens before claims are submitted, it is done by your billing software.

Thank you for responding. We actually manually enter our surgical charges and sequence them based on our results from checking them through our NCCI editing function in EncoderPro. We are in the process of transitioning to a new EHR system next year and in building the system, it is sequencing the CPT codes based on numerical order, so I was tasked with finding the answer to my question I posed on the forum.