Wiki Where to Start Again After Being a SAHM?

Best answers
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same sort of situation as me before, and seeking advice on what my next step should be to get
back to work in coding.

I graduated MATC/Madison college in 2010 with my CPC-A license.

I worked at the VA in medical billing and then Pharmacy billing.

My husband and I then started a family and I have been staying home with my kids until now,( 1st grade and 4k)

I've kept my license/certification current every year and kept up with CEU's.

I've ordered the PRACTICODE internship/externship online program from AAPC to help refresh me on coding.

I'd like to (eventually) work from home, but I don't even know where to start.
I'm hoping that practicode, in addition to removing my A and giving 1 year of exprience, will refresh and I'll feel more
confident about coding again.

Has anyone gone back to work from being a stay at home parent for a number of years? I don't feel confident coding
yet, so much has changed...are there places that will let you job shadow/train on the job when you haven't had
recent expirience?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Katie

I had been a SAHM for about 8 years before I took the CPC course and exam. I was very fortunate (I have a lot of pharmacy experience and I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician as well), but this is what I did:

I took the course and passed the exam on March 23rd 2018.

I finished practicode on July 11, 2018 (thus removing my A).

I started slamming places that I found on Indeed, Ziprecruiter, Monster, Career Builders, Glassdoor, and Linkedin with my resume. I do not recommend Mommy Jobs online, since they have very few actual coding related jobs for the $85.00 they charge. I put out over 100 resumes in just a few weeks. My full-time job was finding a job.

I also posted my resume on AAPC, with an email and a phone number (this is the task that got me my job).

I was hired on August 3rd, 2018 for a full-time, remote position with a Revenue Cycle company that reviews other coder's work for both errors and areas where revenue can be increased.

Hop on LinkedIn

Update your resume and start networking on LinkedIn. There are recruiters who are always posting, looking for entry-level coders to W@H.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for the input!
This was really helpful and also nice to hear from someone else who's gone back to work successfully after
staying home.