Wiki Where to go next in my career??

kristineklopez@gmail.com

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I'm a CPC-A looking for the next step in my career, not sure what to do now. I was looking at the CPMA certification as a possibility. Does anyone have any advice on next steps? Has anyone taken this exam and have info to share? Any help would be great! Thank you!

advice for future education

Hi Kristine,
I will only encourage any fellow coder to continue pursuing being the best coder they can be. There is always something to learn.
What are you coding now that you can expound on? What has your passion, or what do you find yourself researching when you punch out at night?
Do you like auditing, are you detail orientated & pay great attention to detail? How are you working denials, do you understand EOBs? Do you understand the claims, adjustment codes, the appeal process?
I finally passed the CPMA on the second try last fall with 2 years of coding experience.
Personally my first specialty was CANPC because I had just accepted the anesthesia coding position at our facility.
Do you work inpatient or outpatient? Is there a field that excites you or that you feel you really have a knack for .... maybe even coworkers email you for advice because you are the "guru"?
Good luck with your future advancement(s). I wish you lots of luck & be sure to study hard. Don't forget to reach out if you have questions.
Thanks,
Dana Chock, CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB