Wiki Where do I start? Behavioral Services

shale36

New
Best answers
Our office currently uses a billing company for ABA billing. We are wanting to look into doing all of our billing in house. I was wanting to get any advice on how we start this process. What programs are best? Do we have to use a clearinghouse? Things to look out for that can potentially be a hazard with billing in house. Can we send electronic claims ourselves?

Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks,

Stephanie Hale, CPC

The best, most cost effective software that I have used is CollaborateMD. It takes some training, but you can do anything with it. The reporting is also good and you can customize reports. The clearinghouse submission is integrated in the system. From the several RCM softwares I have used, its by far my favorite.

Review the contract with your billing company. You should have to give notice, then allow a grace period for them to collect on claims they have submitted. You can do a hard start date and take over submitting all claims on a certain date, or if you are facility based you can take over new admits on a certain date and allow the billing company to bill for existing patients until a certain date. I have taken several substance abuse treatment centers in house, so feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

I personally like Athena. Athena has been one of the better systems for billing and reporting that you can imagine. Lots of setup but it is well worth it and they walk you through the entire process. Lots of data can be pulled from the Athena system and so much can be automated.

Billing in House

Our office utilizes Therapist helper Program which is super easy to learn and the Claims Connect Program within it is an excellent suppliment for our busy office. The staff is always available to help and walk through any issue if you get stumped.
We file electronic claims and get paid faster.