Wiki Where do I find guideline 1.C.8.a.4 in ICD-9?

LisaN1979

Best answers
We weren't taught this in school. Where can I find this? I am looking through my book and I don't see anything like that. I am using ICD-9 Version 2010. Thanks!

We weren't taught this in school. Where can I find this? I am looking through my book and I don't see anything like that. I am using ICD-9 Version 2010. Thanks!

If you need to find it in the 2010 ICD-9 manual, look in the front of your book for the Coding Guidelines section. Go to Section I, onto C. Chapter Specific Coding Guidelines, then 8. Diseases of Respiratory System (460-519), then a. COPD and asthma and finally 4) Acute exacerbation of asthma and status asthmaticus.

Let us know if we answered your question. :)

ICD-9 Reference

It is where the reference can be found in the ICD-9 Guidelines
!1. Refers to the section in the guideline. Turn to Section 1 in your guidelines. Each of the code chapters (Infections and Parasitic Diseases, Neoplasms, etc.) are listed with the guidelines that relate to specific codes in that chapter.

C.8. This is the chapter. Disease of the Respiratory System There are 19 Chapters in ICD-9 (Infections and Parasitic Diseases, Neoplasms, etc.) Turn to Chapter 8

a. Each chapter has notes specific to coding rules . a. is Chronic Obstructive pulmonary disease. Indented below you will see the specific rules for coding COPD.

Look for # 4 "Acute exacerbation of asthma and status asthmaticus.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I see it now in the front of the book, but I don't see the #4 there. I looked on the link to the Guidelines provided but I still don't see the #4 in the new Guidelines.

on the downloaded file it is on page 41
on page 40 you see:
8. Chapter 8: Diseases of Respiratory System (460-519)
a. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease [COPD] and Asthma
1) Conditions that comprise COPD and Asthma
2) Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive bronchitis and asthma
then page 41
3) Overlapping nature of the conditions that comprise COPD and asthma
and finally
4) Acute exacerbation of asthma and status asthmaticus
An acute exacerbation of asthma is an increased severity of the asthma symptoms, such as wheezing and shortness of breath. Status asthmaticus refers to a patient’s failure to respond to therapy administered during an asthmatic episode and is a life threatening complication that requires emergency care. If status asthmaticus is documented by the provider with any type of COPD or with acute bronchitis, the status asthmaticus should be sequenced first. It supersedes any type of COPD including that with acute exacerbation or acute bronchitis. It is inappropriate to assign an asthma code with 5th digit 2, with acute exacerbation, together with an asthma code with 5th digit 1, with status asthmatics. Only the 5th digit 1 should be assigned.