Wiki When to start learning coding

Best answers
I'd like to learn coding, but would it be better to wait until everything switches to ICD-10? Or will we need to know both 9 and 10 for a while? I just wonder if I should start learning ICD-9 now if it's all going to be changing. I also read that CPT and HCPCS codes are not going to change. Is this correct? Thanks for any advice!

We’re going to need both for who knows how long.

The mandatory switch currently applies to private carriers, Medicare, and Medicaid. Worker’s Comp and auto insurances are being given the choice to either say with ICD-9 or switch to ICD-10.

And even when the switch occurs, we’re still going to have to deal with both when dealing with ARs as we will have to go back over older claims that had ICD-9 codes on them along with managing newer claims with ICD-10 codes on them.

Your best bet is to learn both to make you a more valuable coder. Besides… Coding is coding… The real change is going to be for clinicians and the way they do their documentation. They’re going to have to get used to being very, very specific when describing diseases and conditions. We in the orthopedic world are going to get hard with that. Gone will be the days of saying that a patient has knee pain. Now, they will have to get used to saying which knee and an exact location (left anterior lateral knee pain).

And you’re right, as far as I know… CPT and HCPCS codes will not change.

Last edited:
I agree. Both ICD-9 and ICD-10 will be needed for awhile. My suggestion would be to start learning and keep learning as much as you can. The more knowledge, the better for you. Don't limit yourself to one or the other. Be prepared to provide services in either arena.

Good luck!!

I'd like to learn coding, but would it be better to wait until everything switches to ICD-10? Or will we need to know both 9 and 10 for a while? I just wonder if I should start learning ICD-9 now if it's all going to be changing. I also read that CPT and HCPCS codes are not going to change. Is this correct? Thanks for any advice!
The best advise has been given,in your earlier responses. There is no time like the present.

If you learn CPC, ICD-9 and HCPCS, ( which you are correct, only ICD-9 will be the one changing in October 2014) then you will only need to learn the ICD10 transition by 2015. They are different in some ways, but have some similarities (i.e, guidelines are the same in most systems). In addition, going forward, ICD9 codes will still be reviewed when reviewing claims older to 10/1/2014. You could also learn both now. I have already taken my ICD10 training as an Instructor and those of us Instructors in the field will be offering the training next month (October 2013) You may try to find one in your area. If you were my student, I would say: Start with ICD-9CM and as soon as you finish that and become a CPC ( or whichever certification is in your goal ) then start ICD10 training.

Hope this helps.

Ani Marrero, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-I
PMCC & ICD10 Instructor
Unique Career Academy for Medical Billing & Coding