Wiki When a patient is sent to the ER

Best answers
I work for a small private practice where we do everything on a walk-in basis. There are often times when a patient may come in and after doing a full office exam, our providers then tell patient to go to the ER. There is confusion for billing. I was under the understanding that since there was a COMPLETE office visit, we have the right to bill that out. Because who's to say, once the patient leaves the office, they actually go to the ER? We have no affiliation with any hospitals and our providers do not make any hospital calls. There are some cases where the patient is checked in with vitals, and then when the provider enters the room, they are right away sent to ER. In those instances, obviously there was no exam so no charge. BUT, as i mentioned above, if there is a complete office exam, can i bill that out at the appropriate level?

I believe you are correct. If a provider in your office admitted them, then it would be a diffrent story. It sounds like you do have documentation to bill your complete visits out.