Wiki What's a typical day like

olister2001@yahoo.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hi, I start my first coding job next Monday. I will be working in a cardio clinic with 10 Doctors. I don't know what to expect, hoping someone can describe their typical day. I'm was an LVN working in the cardiovascular O.R. for 13 years. Any tips would be great. Thank You.Ollie

Congrats! Do you know if you will be strictly "coding" or "billing" or both?

I work in a 6-provider pediatric clinic and we do both coding and billing because of our size. Our providers select their codes through our EMR and my role is to review the chart and confirm (or one could say "fix") their coding. :) Sometimes they don't bill for everything (or bill the wrong version of a procedure). Sometimes their dx coding doesn't follow the guidelines. I'd be rich if I had a $1 for every time they list an external cause code as the primary dx!

Then there's the billing duties of generating and submitting electronic claims, posting payments, etc. I enjoy doing both billing and coding. I like being able to see "the whole picture" ... when a claim is denied I'm the one posting it so I see what I did wrong, correct the claim and resubmit it on the spot, and eventually get to see the payment come in. You learn what insurances are looking for pretty quick this way.

Your situation may be similar given the size of the practice, but you'll find out soon enough! Good luck.

Thanks for the info

Thanks , during the interview they said something about training me to do other things, so I'm thinking it's billing. I'm nervous about the coding, I'm sure it's different than the coding done in class. I hope I don't look like I don't know anything? Do you a program for the coding part or do you use the books? So many questions. Thanks for replying.

If it is billing that is a good way to get familiar with the codes that your facility or doctor's office bills for. This will also open your eyes to what kind of guidelines certain payers use for certain procedures. Assume they have software to help with the codes, but use your books (most recent the better) as a backup in case the software is not to your liking or after more experience with the software is attained.

Take as many notes as you can! This really helped me out when I started out coding.

Good luck...I'm sure you will do great!

If they don't already have a cheat sheet, make your own of codes you often see on the fee tickets/encounter forms. I have a similar setting in a small orthopedic office. I code out the FFS and capitated accounts while balancing time following up on Group 3 and 4 claims including workman comp claims. The typical day starts out with checking emails for urgent matters as well as webinar alerts. Then from there it's making claims calls for two hours since it seems its the best time to catch sleeping insurance adjusters at their desk. After that, it's a cool 3 to 4 hour stretch of coding mixed in with urgent issues such as looking up old fee tickets and whatnot on the EMR. At times, I have to answer the phone due to callbacks from claims inquiries as well as patients wondering why they have to pay for a missed appointment fee.

Peace
@_*
Good luck!

Do you a program for the coding part or do you use the books?

I actually prefer the books. You can code through our software but you don't get the same level of detail. For example, 69209 and 69210 have the exact same description "REMOVE IMPACTED EAR WAX UNI" ... that's less than useful. For ICD-10 Coding, if you can guess the right wording you may find a code ... but by scanning that section of the book you may find a better code. I'm sure you will quickly find a system that works best for you.

To be honest, it's probably good you are a little nervous. I've worked with people who were concerned about learning and getting it right and I've worked with people who pretended they knew everything and wouldn't ask a question. This isn't your employer's first rodeo ... everybody has been new at a job sometime and they expect there will be questions during the learning curve.