Wiki What exactly DO we DO?

Best answers
I am the only coder and biller in a hematology / oncology practice... but recently I have been asked to train our nurse and office manager in 'whatever it is that I do all day'... I am trying to put together a detailed job description. Can someone help me put together a list? The life cycle of a claim... physician sees patient, claim is created and coded (ICD 9 now, 10 later), claim is submitted to the clearing house, I make sure it is accepted by the payer, once payment is received scrub it for any denials, respond to rejections, or forward to the secondary... There are my basics, now please go ahead and help me fill in all of the nitty gritty details of our daily responsibilities? I just get jumbled when I try to think it over and over. Thank you for your support!

Job description of a coder

1. Ensure that all services are coded/abstracted from the medical record and posted with the correct CPT code and corresponding ICD-9 code(s).
2. Able to access the Allscripts system to abstract notes and reports to ensure proper coding
3. Assists in implementing solutions to reduce back-end billing errors.
4. Access Provena site for face sheets, procedure notes, consults, visits and diagnosis codes.
5. Create new procedures/codes and obtain fees for those services.
6. Update CPT and ICD-9 codes as they are deleted or added annually.
7. Be available to answer coding questions from physicians, nurses and other staff members.
8. Assist nursing staff with locating tickets, operative reports, or other items as requested on a stat basis.
9. Be able to cross-train in other functions of the department.
10. Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the AAPC and adheres to official coding guidelines.
11. Following MMA company values and service standards.
12. Maintains confidentiality of all information and follows all HIPAA guidelines.
13. Assists and trains staff.
14. Attends meetings as required.
15. Other duties as assigned.