Wiki What constitutes as proof for Consults reply?

micki127

Guru
Best answers
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what constitutes as proof for a Consult that the physician has sent the report to the requesting provider? We understand the three R's (Request, record, and report/reply). The issue is normally the provider will put CC at the end of the report with the consulting providers name and that way I feel comfortable that the report is being sent. Can anyone direct me as to where it states the guideline as to what constitutes as the reply to the requesting provider? Is it acceptable that the Office visit note just states patient sent in for consult at the request of Dr. whomever? That the patient was seen and diagnosed and will continue with followup with the consulting provider. In no shape way or form does it state anywhere that a copy of this report will be sent to the requesting provider. Is it acceptable that I am suppose to just assume that a reply will be made? Also, there is no other note in the chart that reflects that any further information has been sent to the requesting provider.

Any help will be appreciated as we are trying to resolve this issue in the office. Please provide links or guidance as to where you are finding your answers. We did check the CPT guidelines but it is not specific enough.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

In our EHR we have a copy of the actual letter that was sent to the referring MD. The letter states that the patient was referred by Dr.. So and So and then provides all the pertinent information. I don't think that an office note with just a CC at the end would suffice, but I am not sure if there is any formal documentation regarding what supports the referral. You could look on the CMS web site, even though CMS no longer uses the consultation codes.