Wiki Wellness exam with pap smear a week later

PennyG

Networker
Best answers
My provider performed a wellness exam on a patient and had her return a week later, for whatever reason, for her pap smear. Can I code each of these visits as age-specific preventive(99395 or 99396), this close together?

My understanding is that you should be able to use the PE cpt code (99395 or 99396 like you said) and instead of the Z00.00 Dx code, you would use the Z01.419 (encounter for gynecological exam (general, routine) without abnormal findings) for the GYN portion of the exam. (not positive! but I think this is correct) Would be interested to see what others thinks as well. ;)

When our docs do this, we don't charge for the second visit, pap only. The pap smear is included in the annual gyn exam. We are gyn only so if you are a PCP clinic and the wellness exam was not GYN focused then I can see billing for the second visit. If the visit was a pap smear and nothing else then I don't think you could/should bill it as a 99395/Z01.419 because that alone does not constitute a gyn wellness exam. Then I think you would use an E/M code with a Z code for screening pap or the appropriate code for the pap, for instance hx of abn pap, high risk for cervical cancer, etc.

Last edited: