Wiki Well-woman Exams

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
I know this has been anksed and answered before but the debate continues in my office.....if a woman presents for her annual exam and the provider performs a breast, pelvic, obtains a pap, and performs an exam on other oragn systems (i.e. eyes, ent, CV, MS, etc), what ICD-9 codes do you use? I have always operated under the impression that if the exam involved more than just the GYN meaning it involved breast, pap, pelvic, eyes, ent, CV, MS and so on, you report V70.0 and an additional code for the pap (V76 range). Is this correct or would you use V72.31?

If a breast exam is done as part of a routine physical, you would report V70.0, but would you also use V76.10 for the breast exam or would this be inclusive of the V70.0?

I have always operated under the impression that V72.31 was only reported when the GYN component (pelvic, pap, breast) was done only.

Can someone please clarify?

Last edited:
Physical Exam and Gyn exam

Good question. I have been dealing with the same issue. I read once that "when gynecological and physical exam are completed at the same time, the physical examination does not require a separate diagnosis code, rather only the gynecological examination code is reported"....Do you agree?