Wiki Waste Billing

Best answers
Hi - does anyone know when to append the JW modifier? Does it apply for government payors? What is the different between SDVB and MDVB?

Thank you!

I am just learning about infusions and waste but it's my understanding that you can use the JW on any payor, whether they acknowledge it or not I don't know. But I believe it is only applied to the Single dose vial as that is a vial used only once for one patient. a Multi dose vial is a vial that several doses can be taken from. They figure a single dose vial is only for 1 use and there will be wastage as perhaps the pt's dose only requires a certain portion of the vial. Hope this helps.

JW modifer

SDv is a single dose vial all contents of the vial must be accounted for on a single. If pt received 800mg and the entire contents of the vial were 100g you would have 200 mg of waste to account for so if your billing unit is 100 mg
you would have
Jxxxx x 8
Jxxxx JW x 2

You can never report waste on a MDV as it can be used for several pt's
So if you have the same situation as above, pt received 800 mg of a MDV and there is still 200 in the vial you can only bill out 800 mg the other 200 mg can be used on another pt.

As far as the JW goes I bill it to all my insurances except Medicaid Colorado. Then I put the entire contents on one line item so as in above it would be
Jxxxx x10