Wiki waiver of liability.. does it absolve u from improper coding?

TiffanyNH

Best answers
Hello I hv a question... If you get a waiver of liability from a provider, does that exclude you from any ramifications of improper coding and billing practices? Say for ex: you start work in an office and after awhile u notice there are instances of co pays waived for pts, self pay pts get lower level visits so it wont be as much out of pocket or pts with a high deductible getting there visits down coded so their portion will be less. services provided to people who are not pts and are written off.. Oh yeah and no financial policy in effect for the office and ABN's were just now put in to effect b/c of me forcing the issue. So before that they were collecting from medical pts w no signed ABN on file. I was told by my supervisor that if i was doing it under the direction of the provider or her that it took all the liability off from me.. But it doesn't seem right to me... And I hv refused to do it... And now I am told that by next Monday I hv a decision to make... I am at a loss at what I should do.. Can any one point me in the right direction? Or does any one know?

Between a rock and a hard place

Tiffany,
I feel for you. You are in a tough spot.

I am not an attorney and cannot give you legal advice.

But you are clearly in a bad situation. Even if everything is on the up-and-up the inability (or unwillingness) of your supervisors to explain to you the legality of the office practices shows that is not somewhere you want to be working.

I think the best option for you is to begin looking for another job. In the meantime, keep good notes and keep your head down.

Good luck.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC