Wiki waiver of liability.. does it absolve u from improper coding?

TiffanyNH

Best answers
Hello I hv a question... If you get a waiver of liability from a provider, does that exclude you from any ramifications of improper coding and billing practices? Say for ex: you start work in an office and after awhile u notice there are instances of co pays waived for pts, self pay pts get lower level visits so it wont be as much out of pocket or pts with a high deductible getting there visits down coded so their portion will be less. services provided to people who are not pts and are written off.. Oh yeah and no financial policy in effect for the office and ABN's were just now put in to effect b/c of me forcing the issue. So before that they were collecting from medical pts w no signed ABN on file. I was told by my supervisor that if i was doing it under the direction of the provider or her that it took all the liability off from me.. But it doesn't seem right to me... And I hv refused to do it... And now I am told that by next Monday I hv a decision to make... I am at a loss at what I should do.. Can any one point me in the right direction? Or does any one know?
Edit/Delete Message

Always follow your instincts if you feel it is wrong and it makes you uncomfortable then it is wrong. A few years back the AAPC had an article in the Coding Edge where they stated to ask yourself how much are your ethics worth? There was another article that stated that if you know it is incorrect and you fail to take steps to change it correct it or fail to report it then you are equal in liability. I know jobs are scarce but me I would take a walk.

I had to make that kind of decison before and it's not worth the risk, not to mention if you were ever brought up on charges and excluded from working with any government programs your career would be over. If there aren't any policies in writing who's to say they wouldn't turn on you if they get caught?

Oh they would totally do it if they thought it would save them... which is why I get everything in writting and save everything....

Just remember. Fraud is the "knowing intent". Writing isn't going to save you when you know they are dong it wrong and you stand by and watch it happen.