Wiki vitamin D and icd 10 coding

Best answers
Has anyone else had trouble with being reimbursed for vitD screening using an annual exam code for the test?

Default URGENT question as there are...

Hello fellow coders!

I have a provider who INSISTS that we will be reimbursed for Vitamin D screening at an annual exam. I find NO literature that states insurances are reimbursing for said screening. I have found TONS of articles that state the screening of Vitamin D is over billed and reimbursement is nil.

Any ideas on which icd 10 code to use to assist with getting this test paid?

Thanks all!

Vit. D

Screening will not pay...the LCD/NCD will show which codes will pay under that code. But must be documented dx, such as Vit. Def. code E559 (which I think is most commonly used) but there are also guidelines on how many per few years that it can be done. But screening codes are not usually reimbursable and seems that a lot of doctors feel that they are which leads to a lot of confusion.

Tara Eaglestone, CPC

thank you!

Thank you! I keep trying to reiterate to our providers that the documentation is the MOST important! If it isn't screening, they MUST note that in their charting! I appreciate your assistance!

Screening will not pay...the LCD/NCD will show which codes will pay under that code. But must be documented dx, such as Vit. Def. code E559 (which I think is most commonly used) but there are also guidelines on how many per few years that it can be done. But screening codes are not usually reimbursable and seems that a lot of doctors feel that they are which leads to a lot of confusion.

Tara Eaglestone, CPC