Wiki Vcode as primary Dx.

Best answers
I'm curious, can we use a Vcode as a primary Dx if there is not other Dx problem or disease that can be coded along with it?

Instance: Patient comes in for a routine weight check visit (age 8 days). He's already been seen for his NB well visit and is just returning for a f/u weight check. We code a 99213 for the office visit and a V20.31/2 for the Dx.

Thanks in advance,

Cheryl Miles, CPC

Yes, a V code can be used primarily if there is no other dx code but make sure that the insurance accepts a V code.

The insurance must "accept" the V code because it is the patient's diagnosis. We have no choice but to code exactly the dx documented by the physician. The payer can make a decision that the dx we chose is non covered or is not medically indicated but they must accept the dx we assign to the claim.

Yes...V codes can be used as primary diagnosis codes. I just question why this baby was brought back in for a weight recheck after it's NB routine visit. This is not something that is routinely done unless there is some issue, IE: failure to thrive. I would get clarification from the physician. Most insurances are not going to cover this if they have already paid for a routine NB visit