Wiki Vascular Dementia

LoveAndLight

Best answers
Hello,
If the patient has Vascular Dementia, uncomplicated (290.40), do I automatically code 437.0, or does the provider need to specify that the patient also has cerebral atherosclerosis?
Thank you!

In the tabular section under 290.4x, Vascular dementia, it states in red print "Use additional code to identify cerebral atherosclerosis (437.0)". So yes, you automatically code 437.0 as instructed in the tabular. Hope that helps! :)

In the tabular section under 290.4x, Vascular dementia, it states in red print "Use additional code to identify cerebral atherosclerosis (437.0)". So yes, you automatically code 437.0 as instructed in the tabular. Hope that helps! :)

Thank you, lace659! I asked my supervisor and she didn't know. She knows "everything" so I was shocked when she didn't have an answer! lol

You're welcome! My advise is always, always double check the tabular section. There are a lot of instructions, guidance, and tips included there.

Hello again,
My auditor just sent this back to me and said because "cerebral atherosclerosis" is not specified, I cannot code 437.0 and 290.40.
Could you please direct me to a Coding Clinic for this, if there is one?

We code 290.40 for uncomplicated vascular dementia to Medicare for neuropsych testing without a problem. I have looked into adding an additional diagnosis but I just don't see how a psychologist can diagnosis a medical issue like that unless it has already been diagnosed by the referring doctor.

A cider cannot assume the presence of a condition unless guided to do so in the coding guidelines. So without documentation if the cerebral atherosclerosis I would defer to the 290.9, or 290.0.