Wiki V70.0 versus v72.69

veloso

Expert
Best answers
Hi to All,
Question:
What DX? s appropriate for a SICK VISIT (NEW OR ESTABLISHED) if the PROVIDER ordered LABS =as to what the provider explained to me that the patient just want to know his status for cholesterol,sugar..etc=V70.0=and nothing else which could be considered as Preventive Visit.
And another problem some insurances will not pay for PREVENTIVE VISIT so my Dilemma is;
IF I WILL JUST CHANGED THE DX TO V72.69 FROM V70.0 SINCE WE ARE NOT CODING A PREVENTIVE VISIT?

VERY CONFUSED...PLS HELP...

TY

Hi to All,
Question:
What DX? s appropriate for a SICK VISIT (NEW OR ESTABLISHED) if the PROVIDER ordered LABS =as to what the provider explained to me that the patient just want to know his status for cholesterol,sugar..etc=V70.0=and nothing else which could be considered as Preventive Visit.
And another problem some insurances will not pay for PREVENTIVE VISIT so my Dilemma is;
IF I WILL JUST CHANGED THE DX TO V72.69 FROM V70.0 SINCE WE ARE NOT CODING A PREVENTIVE VISIT?

VERY CONFUSED...PLS HELP...

TY

Okay, now I'm confused...

V-codes aren't for sick visits. They're informational codes about other reasons for encounters, besides illness/injury. If the patient's sick, code the signs/symptoms or diagnosis for the problem. You only use V-codes for routine visits. ;)

I would code the visit based on History, exam, and MDM. I would use screening codes such as V77.91 for Cholesterol, V77.1 for Diabetes, etc. If the patient has symptoms like excessive thirst, etc. then code signs and symptoms. Look at V18 for family history of...
You will need to go over his documentation to see what he found out when he did his HPI.
Hope this helps.

If the patient is on medication for the cholesterol and blood sugar then use the V58.83 with the appropriate V code from V58.6x for the drug. However as Brandi stated how is it you have a problem visit and want to use a V70.0? The V70.0 is a first only allowed code also. So if your patient is symptomatic and you order tests then use the symptoms. If at the same encounter the patient needs to have levels checked due to the drugs they are taking then add a V58.83 and V58.6x.. on the other hand if the patient only wants screening performed then the patient would need to be asympotmatic and would need to return for the screenings test when they are not ill.

Thank you very much for ALL the INPUTS I'm printing this to show to our Providers to give me the right vV DX'S...GOD BLESS..