Wiki V18.3

Lorisvg

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone who does hospital coding tell me what the description for V18.3 is?
I do clinic coding, but am getting a denial based on the AHA 4th quarter 2003's description for V15.8. I am wondering if it has changed.

You mentioned two differenf v codes... ? v18.3 is family history of other blood disorders, and v15.8 is other specified personal history presenting hazards to health.

Below is what I think you might be referring to....
----------------------
This alert applies to ICD-9-CM for Physicians.

In the fourth quarter 2003 AHA Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM, the V code use designation for subcategory V58.6, Long-term (current) drug use, did change from either primary or secondary to secondary only, effective December 15, 2003. This 'secondary only' use designation remains in effect and is applied to all V58.6x codes until otherwise advised by AHA Coding Clinic.

Note: the V code 'primary' and 'secondary use' designation does not apply to inpatient admissions to acute care hospitals and does not appear in any of the hospital ICD-9-CM code books.

I'm sorry, I only meant V15.8 - I used V15.85. I feel it is unfair to deny a clinic claim, based on hospital guidelines. Can you give me the description for V15.85 out of the ICD-9 Hospital version?
Thanks!

I'm sorry, I only meant V15.8 - I used V15.85. I feel it is unfair to deny a clinic claim, based on hospital guidelines. Can you give me the description for V15.85 out of the ICD-9 Hospital version?
Thanks!

The coding guidelines apply to all settings unless specifically designated. As far as the code descriptor just look on your ICD-9 CM book the nomenclature of the code is the same in all versions of the book