Wiki V Codes

carriemills

Best answers
How do you know which V Codes are listed as a first diagnoses code? I have checked ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, section I.C.18.e. and I am not sure I understand how to figure out which code would be listed as a diagnoses code. EX.: Which of the following V codes can only be reported as a first listed diagnosis code? A. V22.2 B. V07.4 C. V13.61 D. V20.2

Most code books or online lists will indicate whether or not a code can be used as the principal diagnosis. Look for some type of symbol, notation with the code, link, etc. These are noted in the tabular section with each code's description.

How do you know which V Codes are listed as a first diagnoses code? I have checked ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, section I.C.18.e. and I am not sure I understand how to figure out which code would be listed as a diagnoses code. EX.: Which of the following V codes can only be reported as a first listed diagnosis code? A. V22.2 B. V07.4 C. V13.61 D. V20.2

In the guidelines at the very end of the section on V codes is a section that states V codes that are allowed only as first listed. If the entire category is first listed only the it will have an x after the decimal if it is specific codes then they will be listed as a complete code