Wiki Using problem list diagnosis's

sroyal1031

Contributor
Best answers
I am coding for a FQHC clinic and am just starting my coding career. I am new to looking at E&M visit documentation. I am wondering if I can code from the problem list on the report if no where else on the report has the condition documented and that condition is currently being treated.

Thank you

It's not typically advised to code from the problem list as the visit may not be pertinent to all of the problems listed in the problem list. I recommend reviewing Section IV of the Official ICD-10CM guidelines. I find the acronym MEAT to help when deciding what diagnosis codes to assign. Did the provider Monitor, Evaluate, Assess, and/or Treat the problem. Another helpful acronym is TAMPER - Treat, Assess, Manage, Prescribe, Evaluate, and/or Refer.

It's not typically advised to code from the problem list as the visit may not be pertinent to all of the problems listed in the problem list. I recommend reviewing Section IV of the Official ICD-10CM guidelines. I find the acronym MEAT to help when deciding what diagnosis codes to assign. Did the provider Monitor, Evaluate, Assess, and/or Treat the problem. Another helpful acronym is TAMPER - Treat, Assess, Manage, Prescribe, Evaluate, and/or Refer.
Thank you for your response, I am starting to familiarize myself with the acronym MEAT.