Wiki Using intubation as HPI element

amneske

Guru
Best answers
Hello,
I was looking for opinions on elements of the HPI. If a patient is being transfered from facilty A to my facility B, and was intubated at facility A can I use the intubation as a modifying factor point for my HPI?

Thanks

Hello,
I was looking for opinions on elements of the HPI. If a patient is being transfered from facilty A to my facility B, and was intubated at facility A can I use the intubation as a modifying factor point for my HPI?

Thanks

That depends on whether the results of the intubation are documented - as in, whether it affected the problem, for better or worse. I'd say probably not - it fits better as part of the PFSH, in my opinion - but, that's just a guess - I'd have to see the statement in context, to give you a definitive answer. With the right circumstances, it might qualify as an indication of severity... Could you provide more details of the note?

Agreed

Same thought. If the intubation was actually a factor in the ED visit, Ok as HPI. But if patient happened to be intubated and subsequently visited the ED, using that as a modifying factor would be pushing it.

Jim