Wiki Use of modifier 57 help

NIEVESM

Networker
Best answers
Hello everyone:
Question... Patient first visit to clinic, he has an ankle fracture (MCR patient) Dr decided to operate in two days. He performed a pre-operative exam on today visit. Should I append a mod 57 or not. Please help, thanks:confused:

Thank a lot Alaina for your help, is great to have this information in black and white. I just shared with the others coders, thanks again for your help.

57 modifier

I have been informed that 57 modifiers will no longer be accepted with Medicare patients- for new patient status. According to this rule no 57modifier would be accepted on this claim. Hope with helps

I have been informed that 57 modifiers will no longer be accepted with Medicare patients- for new patient status. According to this rule no 57modifier would be accepted on this claim. Hope with helps

Do you have a reference for this? The citation below is still located in Medicare's Manual.

CPT Modifier “-57” - Decision for Surgery Made Within Global Surgical Period

Carriers pay for an evaluation and management service on the day of or on the day before a procedure with a 90-day global surgical period if the physician uses CPT modifier “-57” to indicate that the service resulted in the decision to perform the procedure. Carriers may no pay for an evaluation and management service billed with the CPT modifier “-57” if it was provided on the day of or the day before a procedure with a 0 or 10-day global surgical period.