Wiki Use of 88300 and the definition of a specimen

Lcubed

Contributor
Best answers
Hello all,

I have a question related to Pathology and the "specimen" as a definition. We are in the process of an internal audit and the issue that has come up is why we are able to charge the 88300 CPT code for a gross-only on a specimen that is not a "tissue". Specifically in regards to a stone that was part of a bladder workup from the OR (multiple specimens) and the stone was a gross-only and then sent for chemical analysis.
Basically the auditor is stating that the CPT manual defines the use of 88300 - 88309 as for a TISSUE and a bladder stone is NOT a tissue.
Additionally we also use the 88300 for medical devices removed at surgery, breast implants, teeth, etc. and any other specimen requested as a gross-only.
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of interpretation of a specimen as a biological tissue and/or can you think of any other source I can use as basis for our charge? I already referred to Dennis Padget and they are still looking for something more "official".

Thanks in advance!
Laura

Wow...we use 88300 in the same way. Have you checked with the College of American Pathologists?

I feel like I have checked everywhere. :D
However I have not been able to find any reference to the "definition of a specimen" argument.
Just sort of wondering what others are doing and/or if you have ever heard of this before.
Glad to hear others are doing the same.

only thing i have found on the specimen issue is that stones etc.. are billed 88300 because they can be readily identified by the pathologist without any further work.