Wiki Urgent: Laminectomy Question

jsd123

Best answers
I do LITTLE ortho so I need a LOT of help! :)

I have to code an L3-L4 laminectomy w/decompression (spinal stenosis) and chose CPT 63005; can someone confirm if this is correct?

Also, for an L2-L3 laminectomy with diskectomy, I'm confused as the codes with diskectomy only reference "laminotomy"--Which I think is fine BUT could someone verify the CPT for this part?

God Bless!

Janice

I also agree with coding 63047 if facetectomy was performed see CPT Assist 2/2001:)

I think 63047 is for a single segment, that's what it says at the end. I believe the code you chose is accurate.

I do LITTLE ortho so I need a LOT of help! :)

I have to code an L3-L4 laminectomy w/decompression (spinal stenosis) and chose CPT 63005; can someone confirm if this is correct?

Also, for an L2-L3 laminectomy with diskectomy, I'm confused as the codes with diskectomy only reference "laminotomy"--Which I think is fine BUT could someone verify the CPT for this part?

God Bless!

Janice

Janice,

If your provider only performed a laminectomy/decompression without a facetectomy/foraminotomy, I agree with your code 63005. 63047 requires a facetectomy and foraminotomy in order to report this procedure.

As for your 2nd question...

Laminectomy is the removal of all or part of the posterior arch of a vertebral body. Laminotomy (hemilaminectomy) is the partial or complete removal of the bony lamina of one side of the vertebral body. "L2-L3 laminectomy with diskectomy"...typically, this falls under 63030 but w/o an op note, I'm only speculating.