Wiki urgent care

ewheeler

Contributor
Best answers
I am confused: have been told that we should be billing 99051 in addition to the E/M level if a patient comes into the urgent care facility after 5:00. Regular business hours are until 8:00.
To me 99051 would be for only special reports, consultations, ect., Can someone clarify this code for me. I am a Radiology coder and urgent care is new to me.

99051 is billed in addition to the E&M. It has nothing to with reports or consultations. I don't have a CPT book with me right now but 99051 should state something like: billed in addition to basic services. You would bill the appropriate E&M and then 99051, no modifiers since it is an add on code.

Just to make things clear..99051 can be added for all patients that are seen at an urgent care facility after 5:00 and on week-ends, correct?

Just to make things clear..99051 can be added for all patients that are seen at an urgent care facility after 5:00 and on week-ends, correct?

Yes. I will caution you though, a majority of the insurance companies will bundle it into the E&M code. We only have 3 insurance carriers that actually pay on it. Others do cover it but they put it to the patient's deductible.