Wiki unprepared

surgonc87

Guru
Best answers
....I believe coding courses helps us get our foot in the door, the real learning is real life medical scenario application in the field. Knowing the basic guidelines and where to find answers are what we learn, so in the field we can search for our own answers…Research everyday as a coder, never stop learning:D

MS

Good answer. We have had a lot of people that say they have learned more on the job than they learned in school. I think that everyone has to learn on the job at some point. The key is research. Know your resourses and know where to look. I do think that it is too easy to pass the test and you should receive more knowledge in school because afterall when you enter the workplace, you are responsible for what you code. You could find yourself in jail or ruining someones life. The profession needs to be taken seriously because the OIG, I promise you, takes it very seriously.

... The test STILL is hard being multiple choice...I don't think new/experienced coder should just be thrown in head first and expected to be a certain way. The key is the training that a facility should offer and resources given to their employers. When I started coding in plastics, with no surgery experience, they made sure I was trained on even the littlest thing like emailing!:)

So key is, ambition and potential to be trained even becoming educators to be grey in this field. It does take time to see what experienced coders see.

MS

I agree:) but unfortunately its comes down to finances for these companies, to put money on the table. But let me say, if you can have a crash course and pass the exam, you must be determined and somewhat "smart" lol.

yes, people can be misguided and disappointment but, its a dog eat dog world and survival of the fittest...But, coding is a wonderful field to get in and if someone wants to make it their passion, being misguided and disappointed will not stop them from being negative and learning on their own how to do's.

MS

Last edited:
If we describe a work of a coder and all they do and what they do for a scope of practice then it would be understood that we just don't cross our arm and wait for answers. We go out looking for and educating ourselves. If the big problem is about employers taking the CPC credential at face value and not put any other factors into play, or even a quiz to test their knowledge, then the AAPC has done a wonderful job with their reputation.

As a employer, I know that if someone does not meet the job requirement to meet the need of our company, there are more people applying at the door. Entry level jobs can be key for those with no experience. We all started out from the bottom, working hard to be where we are, so those have to understand it takes time to think grey and given the right opportunity is what we would be thankful and wish for.

MS

I was fortunate, I enrolled in a coders course, then found a job in a mixed practice, completed the course, and passed the exam. The course did not prepare me for the job or the exam. Advertisers 'glamorize' the profession, making it sound simple and easy, something that can be done in their spare time to make extra money.

It has been a struggle to grasp the ins and outs of professional coding, it takes time and dedication. A professional coder must be willing to search and dig to find the answer and be strong because our path is a lonely path.