Wiki Unicompartment Knee replacement revision

Best answers
I have a surgeon who did a poly exchange in both the medial and lateral compartments on a patient who had medial and lateral unicompartmental knee replacements. The OP report states:

Procedures performed: Right knee open irrigation and debridement with polytheylene liner exchange of medial and lateral unicompartmental arthroplasties.

Description: A thorough debridement of the entire joint was then undertaken. A quarter-inch osteotome was then used to remove the medial and lateral polyethylenes. 3L of normal saline were then irrigated throughout the joint with pulse irrigation. This was then followed by 1L of saline with Bacitracin, another 3L of sterile saline and finally by 1L of dilute Betadine wash. The dilute Betadine was allowed to sit in the joint for approximately 3 minutes before being irrigated out. Next, new polyethylenes were inserted into the medial and lateral tibial base plates.

Would I bill the knee revision code for 27486: Revision of total knee arthroplasty, with or without allograft; 1 component ? Even though it is technically 2 components?

I would normally bill the 27486 with a 52 modifier for poly exchanges of a conventional total knee, but have never come across a bilateral uni poly exchange.

Thanks for all your help!

Heather

This does not make sense to me

When a uni is done the Lateral side is left alone and only the Medial side has hardware placed in the femur and tibia.

I have never seen a uni performed on the Lateral side only.

Maybe I will learn something with this.

Bilateral?

I only see mention of right knee, not bilateral. If pt has had medial and lateral UKA on same knee, this is unique and something I have never seen. If the physician exchanged the poly liner on both compartments of same knee, I would code as 27486-52.