Wiki Una boot

chenson384

Contributor
Best answers
I need help with UNA BOOT billing. In the past we have used the cpt code that is described as UNA BOOT and the provider mixing a compound (paste) applying to skin and wrapping the lower extremity in a rigid fashion.

Now we purchase the bandage supplies pre-medicated and the provider does not have to do any compounding. Also, she tells me the wrapping is not rigid. This is not a DME product, so we pay for the supply---it is not billed out by our supplier.

Surely there is a way we can recover our expense for these supplies. A lot of the time the patient has both legs wrapped. We have one child that has had this done in August and now again in October.

Any ideas?

yes, that is the code we have used in the past. The provider is not sure we should continue to use this code as she no longer has to make the medicine paste. But from what I am reading --she can still use the code because she is still applying a Unna boot---correct?

I was at a Podiatric coding seminar yesterday and the speaker said that the unna boot is considered part of the supplies/bandages/etc and that it can't be billed separately. This doesn't really make sense to me but he said that is how Medicare sees it so we should bill accordingly. Any thoughts on that?

Okay, why should cost of the Unna boot materials not be included in the cost of the procedure? Compare this procedure to casting a Fx, where the initial cast is included when performed by the physician reducing the Fx. Why should the Unna boot be treated differently?