Wiki Ultrasound study of Ext

TamaraM

Best answers
(I'm billing for the radiology -26 prof comp.)

here is the report:
Indications: Palpable lump in region of left groin after chest tube catheter removed.

Technique: Using real-time, color, & Doppler modalities, ultrasound evaluation of the left groin was performed.

Findings: There is gross patency of the left common femoral artery and left common femoral vein and the adjacent superficial femoral artery and vein within the proximal thigh. The left common femoral vein and adjacent superficial femoral vein compress fully and do not demonstrate echogenic material within them to suggest a thrombus.

There is no outpouching or irregularity of the flow within the left common femoral artery to suggest a pseudoaneurysm.

There is subcutaneous edema within the left groin, in the area of palpable lump. No structural with peripherally defined margins to suggest a focal hematoma is noted within the left groin.

IMPRESSION:
1. No pseudoaneurysm of left common femoral artery.
2. Subcutaneous edema noted within region of left groin, without discrete defined mass or hematoma.

The hosp charge came thru as 76882 (Us, ext, nonvas, real-time w image doc, lmtd, anatomic specific. CPT GL: lmtd, anatomic-specific us exam primarily for muscles, tendons, joints, and/or soft tissues.)

AND I DISAGREE-- however it cannot be 93926 or 93971 bc the report documents the arteries & veins. Unless I code both 93926 w/ 93971 limited.

:confused: any ideas on what CPT to use?

I agree with you. The hospital is off using 76882 because it doesn't cover veins and arteries, which is what is documented.

I think you're on to something using both 93926 and 93971. I'd code both 93926 and 93971 because I don't seen anything that covers both.